Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bleating out your favorite hits

It turns out that 2 of the full time students had birthdays within the last week, and to celebrate the entire class, and us exchange students, celebrated by going to Karaoke!

For those of you who have never done Asian style Karaoke, it's a bit different than what we're used to back home. You go to a karaoke parlor which has dozens of studios of various sizes where you and your friends sing in the privacy of your own private room.

Here's a picture to give you an idea of what karaoke here looks like.

Unlike in the US, where it's all about public embarrasment, karaoke here is an intimate thing you do with your friends. . . and apparently something you do to close business deals. I guess making an ass of yourself in front of clients builds trust since if you screw them they'll have blackmail material. . .


Well, I arrived late to find the party well in progress. The social lubricant of choice was Chivas and Green Tea, which apparantely is a a quite popular concoction here in Hong Kong. It's a very potent blend of east and west, a very apt drink for this city, no?

Anyways there was a lot of Chivas fueled singing going on, and I was being implored to join in. Since I was still sober, I was not ready to make an ass of myself, so I protested . . However, another exchange student then asks me "well, what about your Backstreet Boy moves?"

How in the hell did he know about my performance at Follies? That was something I had not shared at all to anyone over here.

I looked at him in utter shock and with my mouth agape. When I didn't respond he continued "I found something on the GSB website telling me about that, so I know it's about you."

Yup, turns out he found out from the trusty internet. I had mentioned that I was blogging to keep in touch with friends at home, and suggested he do the same. He tried to find my blog by Googling my name. He didn't find the blog, but he did find an article from the Chibus (the GSB's student newspaper/gossip rag for those of you not in the GSB) telling people to ask me "to show you his Backstreet Boys moves." DAMN YOU FAISAL!!!!!!!!!

Well that was blood in the water and other students pressured me to sing. Thankfully, I was able to dodge "I want it that way" by singing "It's my life." However that's the beautiful thing about Asian karaoke, you're not singing by yourself. After singing a couple of lines everybody else started joining in, and we all made asses of ourselves together.

Well the Chivas kept flowing so thus the singing continued, with plenty of canto-pop (which I left to the chinese since I couldn't read the chinese character lyrics) and western music being butchered. Not that anybody minded since we were having a great time.

That and the Chivas dulled the pain signals our eardrums were sending. Unfortunately many of us felt pain of a different sortthe next morning, but I digress. . .

4 comments:

shmoo said...

In Shanghai we had Johnnie Walker Black and green tea. Since I drink (or used to drink) JW Black pretty regularly, I found it pretty hard to get too drunk by basically drinking it mixed with water.

Le Voyageur said...

Awesome. You know you "want it that way."

Josekin said...

Good job, Faisal. I knew I should have taught you a Canton pop song before you headed off to HKG...

Josekin said...

And this blog owner approval thing has got to stop. Who cares if there are inappropriate content!? (You better approve this, by the way)